SCHOOL ADVISORY COUNCILS
The Chignecto-Central Regional School Board believes that education is everyone’s responsibility.
Also, the Board recognizes that to prepare students for the challenges of the twenty-first century, all partners in education must work together in support of our most precious resource . . . the children we jointly serve.
Accordingly, the Board encourages student, parent, community and staff involvement in school decision-making through the formation of School Advisory Councils.
To this end, the Board expects the Superintendent of Schools (or designate) to prepare, implement and monitor guidelines, standards and procedures to ensure that School Advisory Councils:
- are established, organized and function within the parameters of the Education Act, Regulations Under the Education Act, applicable Chignecto-Central Regional School Board policies and agreements (including collective agreements), the Board’s strategic plan and the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board School Advisory Councils Handbook;
- act in an advisory capacity to the school principal and the Board such as to enhance the quality of education provided by the school;
- consider as their first priority the overall interests of the students and the school;
- plan and prioritize their activities such that they are consistent with and supportive of site-based planning activities within the school;
- communicate regularly with parents and other members of the school community to report on the work of the Council and to seek input with regard to school matters of interest to the Council;
- are not involved in the day-to-day administration of the school; and
- acknowledge the “Letter of Agreement” as the means to transfer powers and responsibilities.
Authorization These Administrative Procedures have been authorized by the Superintendent of Schools.
Scope Policy #ES-G-11 and these Administrative Procedures apply to all staff, students and members of the public involved with the organization and operation of School Advisory Councils within the Chignecto-Central Regional School System.
Responsibility It is the responsibility of the Director of Education Services to ensure that Policy #ES-G-11 and these Administrative Procedures are implemented.
Implementation Policy #ES-G-11 and these Administrative Procedures shall be implemented by the Family of Schools Supervisor assisted by school principalsand those persons involved with the organization and operation of School Advisory Councils.
Procedures 1. To initiate the process for establishing a School Advisory Council, the Home and School Association (or other similar parent organization), the Principal and staff or a group of eight or more parents of students attending the school shall submit a letter of request or petition to the Board.
2. The Board shall refer the letter of request/petition to the Director of Education Services for review and recommendation.
3. The Director of Education Services shall inform the Family of Schools Supervisor of the request/petition and direct the Family of Schools Supervisor to implement the School Advisory Council initiation process.
4. The Family of Schools Supervisor shall contact the Principal and/or parent group to review the request/petition and offer assistance with the initiation process.
5. The Family of Schools Supervisor shall advise the Director of Education Services regarding the initiation process and will provide any relevant information.
6. The Director of Education Services shall:
a) approve the initiation process;
b) advise (in writing) the Principal and/or the group involved to proceed with the initiation process per the guidelines outlined in the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board - School Advisory Councils Handbook; and,
c) inform the Board’s Education Services Committee that approval to proceed has been granted.
7. Upon receipt of the letter of approval (per 6.b) above), the Principal and/or the parent group in consultation with the Family of Schools Supervisor shall plan and advertise a public information meeting in accordance with the guidelines in the C.C.R.S.B. School Advisory Councils Handbook (Step 2.).
8. Per #7. (above), the Principal and/or parent group shall plan and conduct the School Advisory Council Formation meeting.
9. The School Advisory Council Formation Meeting shall be advertised, convened and conducted per the guidelines in the C.C.R.S.B. School Advisory Councils Handbook (Step 3).
10. At the first meeting of the School Advisory Council following formation:
a) the Council shall define operating procedures per the guidelines in the C.C.R.S.B. School Advisory Councils Handbook (Step 4.); and,
b) the Council shall establish its by-laws per the guidelines in the C.C.R.S.B. School Advisory Councils Handbook (Step 5.)
11. The Family of Schools Supervisor shall consult with the Council executive to provide assistance with the development of the School Advisory Council Letter of Agreement per C.C.R.S.B School Advisory Councils Handbook (Step 6.)
12. The Letter of Agreement shall be developed, negotiated and approved per the guidelines in the C.C.R.S.B. School Advisory Councils Handbook (Procedures for Developing, Negotiating and Approving the Letter of Agreement).
13. Upon approval by the Board, the School Advisory Council is expected to function within the parameters outlined within the C.C.R.S.B. School Advisory Councils Handbook (Parameters and Appendixes “A” - “H”).